Saturday 6 December 2008

Sceptic's guide to God

The other day I got mail as I usually do from Koorong book stores. In the package was a small pamphlet with few quotes from a book called "Sceptic's guide to God" and so I thought I'd share those couple of quotes with you;

"If you believe the information content in living systems to be the result of chance, then you believe that a tornado can go though a junk yard and assemble a Jumbo Jet!" Prof Hoyle

&

"The goal of Heaven is worthy of greater advanced planning than we would give to any other journey - yet some people spend more time preparing for a trip to Disney World" Randy Alcorn

I thought I'd just share those thoughts with you today.

How is your preparation going for eternity - leave me a comment firstly if you love Jesus, but secondly if you want to know more bout God if you don't already. Will be the best decision you will ever make to follow Jesus!

Bless ya!

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Matthew 6:20

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simon, please go to this - http://boundless-salvation.blogspot.com/2008/12/why-i-cant-be-fundamentalist.html - and give me your thoughts on the post and comments.

Sarah Eldridge said...

For the record - cos you asked! I love Jesus! :)

Sarah Eldridge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SaschkaH said...

Simon you might appreciate the following texts:

* Letters to a Young Evangelical (Tony Campolo).

* God's Politics (Jim Wallis)

* The Shack (William Young)

I'm a massive fan of both Wallis and Campolo, and both of them really shook up my sheltered Christian worldview, and helped me establish my own walk with God, devoid of 'labels'.

I know I'm not the 'cookie-cutter' style of Christian, and you and I will probably butt heads on a few issues - but I'd venture to guess you might enjoy these authors, at least for the way they might make you think about a few things, and cement your ideas more fully.

Strongly recommend them.

I also think you might enjoy The Shack -very eye-opening.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

heck yes i love Jesus more than anything!
When you said preparation for eternity.. it made me think of when people say "im a practising christian/catholic/anglican"... that frustrates me.
Someone once said to me- 'What are they practising for? We don't get a practise at life, this is the real deal."
We're not planning on living for Jesus, we should already be living for Jesus here and now. We shouldn't be thinking about what we're going to do for Jesus or how we are going to live for Jesus; but what we're doing NOW for Jesus, lets start living now instead of maybe later.

I dunno where that came from. Just a random think i thought id share..

Anonymous said...

What do you think about there being only one perfect plan for your life and that will give you perfect happiness while here on earth? Do you believe that there is only one perfect life...one perfect partner,....one perfect ministry that God has intended for your life and how is it possible to completey know that your preparation for eternity while here on earth is the perfect plan that God has for your life?

Simon Mapleback said...

Yes, I believe there is one perfect plan for your life and a perfect partner for you etc, the choice is whether you step into God's perfect plan for your life or not.. choose your own adventure?

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you had any thoughts on predestination....if God has an entirely perfect plan for your life, is there any room for choice. What if we don't marry the one God has intended for us and we have children...should those children even exist? What if that marriage works and lasts a lifetime, but has never been God's intended one for you. And what about your vocation. is there any room for choice in this either. Could you be perfectly content working in a field that allows you to express a christian faith despite maybe being called to the ministry field full time.

Is there room for a multitude of variables that amount to God's perfect plan for your life (Grace)