Sunday 18 February 2007

Doctrines - do we know what we believe?

As a part of our worship time at Glenroy, I've been taking us breifly through the Salvation Army doctrines since our worship isn't just about singing songs, but is living out our lives by living out what we believe and how we stand in our relationship with Jesus. So today we were upto the third doctrine which states;

"We believe that there are three persons in the Godhead - the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, undivided in essence and co-equal in power and glory "

Last week was obviously doctrine number two (we're going through in order!) which states;

"We believe that there is only one God, who is infinitely perfect, the Creator, Preserver, and Governor of all things, and who is the only proper object of religious worship"

Thats fine, that spells it out exactly as I believe the Scripture clearly states it. Ok, now it gets interesting. Tonight we had our family video night at church - we watched 'Left Behind' which is about the end times and goes through the story basically how it is in the book of Revelation, but at the end, one of the older ladies who has been attending our church for ever really, said to my Mum, I don't really like those spy stories. Mum replied along the lines of 'excuse me?! Didn't you realise that was about Revelations'. The lady didn't really follow, well Mum doesn't think so anyway! Quite sad I feel, always attending, but never hearing - I hope she just knows that Jesus is the Son of God and accepts that as truth.

Well, it does get worse though - this lady is my Mum's sister (who recently died) her mother in law. She said also to my Mother tonight, that she had been praying for Wendy (Mum's sister) but continued saying 'just incase our 'god' couldn't help, I've asked my Muslim next door neighbour to pray to their 'god' to help her'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What to say!!?? My goodness!!! Ahhhhhhhhh! [pulling out some hair atm]

Lucky I didn't hear this first hand - I would have had a heart attack. A senior of our church - well obviously only in years of attendance! We had just gone through the second doctrine at the start of the week before she had gone off to do this, maybe we have to talk as if we are talking to 3 year olds when we're teaching God's truths - how many others in our church are so far off the track (we do have childrens stories - maybe we need more of them?!). It's funny though, these are the people that refuse to come to Bible studies and night meetings, well anything that has any depth, because they say they don't need to.........(!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I really don't know how to conclude this blog, what else to say!

"And you shall seek me, and find me, when you seach for me with all your heart"
Jeremiah 29:13
Church - be searching!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Satan has blinded them - deafened them - so they can neither see nor hear the word of the Lord!
This is a blockage that needs to be broken - and it will be broken only by prayer - fight this is the spiritual realm - and keep telling the gospel over and over - and your right more often than not it will be the children's spot that will reach them! So make them exciting - but also with a clear message!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lieutenant Jo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
james said...

wow! thats nuts!

how does the church deal with that? Is this lady a soldier?

Like said above, the gospel needs to be preached and the corps needs to be shown how to live a gospel life!

I cant believe that... Actually, I can!lol sad... Ahwell, it means that u have a mission field in your own corps! thank God that Hes brought people to you!

Teackles said...

Simon Peter,

I am not sure why 2 comments have been deleted by you but I hope my fate is not the same.

Dude, your attitude to this woman is frightening.
Talk about harsh judgement!
What sort of attitude is that to take about someone who is a sister of Christ?
Would you be happy if she read this?
Is this blog written out of love for this woman?
I don't think so.....if it was about me I wouldn't feel to loved.

It sounds like the words of the pharasies.

I warn you to be careful how you speak about people.

I think this attitude of distain for someone because they don't know the bible as well as you is dangerous.

It surprises me when christians talk like this.
There is so much warning against this sort of ranting...... Jesus was pretty big on not treating people like this.
He wasn't really a big fan of "religious" people who thought they were better than others.

Is it possible that you missed this in the children's stories?

Teackles

Simon Mapleback said...

Hi Teackles,
Firstly the two comments that were deleted were due to a comment left with a link to a false prophet proclaiming he was god and the second was to let me know I should delete it and wouldn't make sense if i left it there by itself.
Ok, in the ten commandments it says that there is only one God and He shall only be worshipped, true! This lady has been a part of the 'church' for over 60 years and still obviously hasn't heard that basic law of God. That makes me afraid of what else people havn't been hearing (or miss hearing!)- like call upon the Name of Jesus and be saved, we think we are securing peoples eternal lives, but it seems to be in vain- Satan is hijacking the 'communication' once it enters some peoples minds. I'm glad i'm aware of this now so i can pray against it.
If i'm sounding like a Pharisee, ok i'm sorry, i can get judmental sometimes, i'm human too, but i don't ever think i'm better than anyone else, but thank you for sharing your own judgment.
May God bless you in your ways.
Simon.

Teackles said...

Ah, Simon Peter,
I am not judging you but I am judging your words and the thoughts you shared with the world!

Anyway, thank you for apologising and admitting you are just human.
Yes, we are all sinners and lets face it I was really judging you......(I was just trying to hide it in my choice of words....)

I guess all I was trying to say was: Is it really our place to curse about the biblical knowledge of our elders in church?

Will not God deal with it himself?

Or maybe there is a better way for you to deal with it.
I encourage you to be a bigger man....perhaps offer to go around to her house and help her with cutting the lawn or something.
Maybe, in time you could build up a relationship with her and then you could bring some of this stuff up in discussion and find out what she really thinks and maybe she will be open to ask you questions......who know?

Approach her with love and I reckon you could really have a positive outcome with her.

Just a thought.


Teackles.

james said...

good advice teackles...

i think simon was just trying to point out the problem though...

i think a thing we as bloggers forget to or dont get around to doing is showing how we're going forward, often a blog is just something to let out our frusturations and thoughts...