Thursday 1 May 2008

Mourning

Those you know of Smith Wigglesworth, you would know he was a powerful man in God's authority, especially over sickness and death.

I get a daily blessing from reading his work in my devotional time.

The other day I read a portion based on Matthew 5:4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"

Smith went on to say we have the wrong idea on mourning. He tells the story;

"My wife once said to me, 'Watch me when I'm preaching. I get so near to Heaven when I'm preaching that someday I'll be off.' One night she was preaching, and when she had finished, off she went.

As I was leaving the house, the doctor and policeman met me at the door and told me that she [his wife] had fallen dead at the church door. I knew she had gotten what she wanted. I could not weep, but I was in tongues, praising the Lord.

I went up to her lifeless corpse and commanded death to give her up, and she came back to me for a moment. Then God said to me, 'She is Mine, Her work is done here'. I knew what He meant.

When you believe God, you will say 'Whatever it is, it is all right. If You want to take the one I love, it is all right, Lord."

What a huge statement, are you in a place with God where you are able to say that? I'd like to think I am... God is good, we know He is in control and knows what He is doing.

My Dad's cousin died last week, he was only 46 and was unsaved. I would have loved to have the boldness of Smith Wigglesworth to command death to give him up, but the family didn't allow us to even approach him and didn't even want a religious ceremony - but I could have prayed for him from a distance, but failed!

If you are saved, you are at peace in your spirit, I thank God He sent His son, so I can have life!

Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. We live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:6-8

No comments: