Tuesday 27 May 2008

Red Shield


So, 12.5 hours of collecting down, I have another 4 to go! I have a sore back!

My corps is quite lucky, we have the Tullamarine Airport that we focus on rather than the door knock, but we have it over 2 weeks, so many hours to cover.

So many stories too. One today made me laugh, a guy got off the plane from Adelaide and pulled out a couple of $100 bills, a couple of $50's and a $10 and a $5 and asked if I then had change for the $5 bill - I said no and so then he said he'd get some change..... he came back in a minute and gave me a grand total of..... $1!!!! I felt so special that he went to all that effort for $1. It made me laugh!

I've noticed at least 3 types of people that pass me (without being judgmental, please note!) - the people who don't give, the people who give you the loose change they don't need and the people who actually give generously.

The last point I want to point out for today is, that I have noticed that there are really only 2 people from my Corps that actually wear our full uniform during collecting - and surprise surprise - these two Soldiers raise a SIGNIFICANT amount more than everyone else!!! What does that tell you?

Many Salvationists just think wearing our uniforms is for Sundays to show each other, but it shows - even those Salvationists are slacking off even on Sundays, only wearing uniform if they have a standard just so they can sing in the Songsters or play in the band! We need to be getting out more, where the uniform in significant and very relevant

We just need to do something about the price of the uniform since it is so useful, recognisable, and identifiable....

The wicked borrow and do not repay, but the righteous give generously
Psalm 37:21

2 comments:

Darren Lamotte said...

I have blogged something very similar ! It is amazing. Hope this weekend goes really well for you and confirms Gods call on your life and His plans for your future.

God Bless, I will be praying for you. Darren

living4today said...

ur right bout the uniform
sad to say i din't have mine on, as just the thought of door-knocking in that, sent shivers down my spine. lol.
did have my Salvo top on tho.

but the whole price thing does really get to me, God blessed me with not having to pay for mine, but wen we look back into Salvo history and see that many of our early Salvos were converted poor people, it makes me wonder, how many of them would have been able to afford the uniform today???

also...intersections rock!!! :-D

God bless, Alana