Thursday 25 September 2008

Extremists - again

After my previous post, my brother told me that he had just been reading some speeches for his studies on Martin Luther King Jr and how they had been along similar lines to what I blogged and have been thinking about.

I thought I'd just add a few of his quotes in, firstly because they are along similar lines to my previous blog, and also because they are inspirational.

"Was not Jesus an extremist in love - 'Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, pray for them that despitefully use you.' Was not Amos an extremist for justice - 'Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an mighty stream.' Was not Paul an extremist for the gospel of Jesus Christ - 'I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.' Was not Martin Luther an extremist - 'Here I stand; I can do none other so help me God.' Was not John Bunyan an extremist - 'I will stay in jail to the end of my days before I make a butchery of my conscience.' Was not Abraham Lincoln an extremist - 'This nation cannot survive half slave and half free'. Was not Thomas Jefferson and extremist - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.' So the question is not whether we will be extremist but what kind of extremist will we be . Will be extremist for the preservation for hate or will be extremists for love? Will we be extremists for the preservation of injustice - or will we be extremists for the cause of justice?"

What a spokes person! There are so many other brilliant quotes here from Martin Luther King Jr, but I may break it up into smaller, bite size blogs.

I'm about to go into a technological blackout until late Monday. This weekend a few of us are involved in the International Weekend of Prayer and Fasting for Victims of Sexual Trafficking so one of the things I will be fasting is technology. You may also like to join us in prayer and fasting as a starting point to fight against this evil so please do this weekend.

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners"
Isaiah 61:1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! loved this blog.
short n sweet i say. Really got me pumped ay!
thinking we neeeeed to be extreme for Jesus!! like.. lately ive realised, ive been so like.. blah and boring. lol.
what if the end of the world was coming tomorrow? what would u wanna do, id wanna help bring people to Christ thats what id wanna do, i dont want my neighbours going to hell.
think about how extreme we'd be then for Jesus ayyyy, ranting round trying to get people saved. It'd be full on yeah. Living each day as it was our last.
i know ive been slack as..
sorry for my rant, make no sense? dunno if i get it either =P
No idea what ur point was on the blog btw..
BUT thats what i got out of it for me =) haha.
your cool xxxxx

Anonymous said...

sorry.. this is a boring comment.
all i wanted to know was..
how did u get that heading and picture of you above everything.
You know the pictures where you're trying to pull off the whole 'look im hanging with kids so people will think im really nice and happy'.. i know the real you -
you're not nice OR happy.
hahaha im completely joking =)
but seriously, how did u do that?