Friday 23 March 2007

Get results when you pray

“When a believing person prays, great things happen.”
James 5:16 NCV
Sandra P Aldrich says, ‘Early in my widowhood as I prayed … about a possible move, I ended with, “Thank you God that you’ll show us what to do”. My 12-year-old said, ‘Mom you didn’t say Amen.’ I nodded, ‘That’s because God and I are going to talk about this all day.’ And we did. Eventually my family made a cross-country move that opened a new career for me. But more importantly, I began a new adventure with God. Here’s what I learned:‘
(a) You don’t pray into thin air: where I live, Pike’s Peak rises above the city … but when clouds obscure it we don’t say, “The Peak’s gone!” It’s there even when we can’t see it … and God’s working even when you don’t see Him. ‘
(b) Just jump in: James says, “When a believing person prays, great things happen,” so while reading about prayer and learning about great intercessors can be helpful, you’ve got to start talking to God yourself. ‘
(c) There’s no ‘right’ way to pray: one lady remembers her grandparent’s prayers being filled with “Thees” and “Thous”, that made her feel unfit to pray. Then one day as she wrestled with a stubborn lawnmower she simply said, “Lord, I really need your help”. Suddenly the responding roar of the engine gave her a fresh awareness of God’s presence. ‘
(d) Pray like you’d talk to a friend: Jesus said, “Be direct. Ask for what you need” (Lk 11:10 TM).’ Aldrich continues, ‘My grandmother talked to God so naturally that I’d meander into the kitchen expecting to see a neighbour.’ That’s how to get results when you pray.

1 comment:

james said...

Great stuff simon! Ive been teaching different groups about listening prayer. So often we do the whole answering machine prayer, leave a message then go... Im soooo convinced that we talkt to God and expect Him to answer! Its not about us!!!! Trust in His promises and remind Him of His faithfulness, for goodness sake have faith!lol God is here!

love those Bible passages you got there!

and Easter camp is gonna b fantastic!