Saturday 9 June 2007

Determination


How determined are we to claim God's promises. How determined are we to pray through problems? How determined are we to get as many people into Heaven as we can?

How determined are we as people of God to be determined about anything?

Determination and dedication are two things that are generally missing in the world today. Dedication and determination in relationships/marrage, with our children, discipline, and so on.

The reason I bring this up is God asked me to make a new covenant with Him last Sunday night, a covenant to be Holy, not just know about being Holy, but acutally BE HOLY. I had to let go of things in my life that were getting in the way - 'flesh' things from being human that I had to totally give up to make this covenant. I could have very easily just said "yeah God, I'll do that" but not really entered into a true covenant!

I was determined to dedicate myself totally to this covenant with God. He asked me to do this so it must be for a purpose but most importantly - for His glory, so I set my whole self to do this - body, mind and soul. It took me a whole 10 minutes or so to pray through this before saying 'yes' and committing to it.

How often do we dedicate determined prayer to pray through things to truly commit to things like this?? This particular example only took 10 minutes to pray through, but if it took 3 hours, I still would have done it!!

We need to refuse to stop praying until we receive the blessing. I am reminded of Jacob when he wrestled with the Angel all night and refused to let it go until he got his blessing (see Genesis 32:22-31) and it even cost him an injury! For God's sake, lets be determined to finish everything we start, see it from start to finish and be determined to succeed and ultimately bring God glory!

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God."
Philippians 4:6

1 comment:

james said...

GREAT blog simon! I love it! We were talking about this thurs night at band practice! About "praying through!!!!" Not stopping praying until we have peace from God that it is done.

Its funny, where there is revival its very common to find all nights of prayer happening. These days it seems we only do them every now and then. We dont need people to let us do them, we can just get some mates together and pray.Which reminds me, hows sunday night for our prayer and evangelism stuff? or would sat night b betteR?