Monday 23 June 2008

I'm no longer a Salvo

I've realised there are becoming more and more people that are calling themselves 'Salvo's'.

Many people that attend The Salvation Army once a year for Christmas or Easter or a dedication etc are calling themselves 'Salvo's', people that work in Salvo's stores or Employment Plus, or even people that just have family members who are connected with the Salvation Army in some form, or possibly just be fed by the soup van's are now saying they are Salvo's.

The name 'Salvo' is getting watered down so much and is loosing it's power and it's true intended purpose, so I am no longer a 'Salvo'!

These people are watering down what the Salvation Army is all about - so I don't want to be associated with an organisation that is becoming a club that is no more than a name that has a good reputation that makes me look good in return.

I now am going to start calling myself a SALVATIONIST! Why - because I am signed up, paid up, committed and actually in the fight. I'm not happy just even attending 'church' on Sunday, but without exception, or excuse, will obey God's plan for my life - everyday of my life, whether a public holiday, RDO or my birthday. Enough is enough of people who talk it up and in reality do nothing - I will not talk up myself or my actions, but only talk up the awesomeness of God and Jesus alone.


I am a soldier, a prayer warrior, of the Army of my God.
The Lord Jesus Christ is my Commanding Officer.
The Holy Bible is my code of conduct.
Faith, Prayer and the Word are my weapons of warfare.

I have been taught by the Holy Spirit, trained by experience, tried by adversity, and tested by fire.

I am a volunteer in this Army, and I am enlisted for eternity.
I will either retire in this army at the Rapture or die in this Army;
but I will not get out, sell out, be talked out.
I am faithful, capable, and dependable.

If my God needs me, I am there.

I am a soldier, a prayer warrior. I am not a baby.
I do not need to be pampered, petted, primed up, pumped up, picked up, or pepped up.

I am a soldier, a prayer warrior.
No one else has to call me, remind me, write me, visit me, entice me or lure me.

I am a soldier, a prayer warrior, I am not a wimp.
I am in place, saluting my King, obeying His orders, praising His Name and building His Kingdom!

I am a soldier, a prayer warrior.
No one has to send me flowers, gifts, food, cards, candy, or give me handouts.
I do not need to be cuddled, cradled, cared for, or catered to.

I am committed.
I cannot have my feelings hurt bad enough to turn me around.
I cannot be discouraged enough to turn me aside.
I cannot lose enough to cause me to quit.

When Jesus called me into His Army, I had nothing
If I end up with nothing I will still come out ahead,
For I am more than a conqueror.

The devil cannot defeat me. People cannot disillusion me.
Weather cannot weary me. Sickness cannot stop me.
Battles cannot beat me. Money cannot buy me.
And Hell cannot handle me
I AM A SOLDIER

Even death cannot destroy me.
For when my Commander calls me from this battlefield
He will promote me to glory and there I will rejoice in His presence.

I am a soldier in God's Army and I'm marching claiming victory.
I will not give up, not turn around.
Here I stand.... a soldier!
(author unknown)

Are you signed up and fully committed? Why not - would you prefer to watch TV or sleep in??

"Give up you small ambitions and come, change the world!"
Mark 8:34-35

9 comments:

Heart to God, Hand to Man said...

Been pondering this one for a few days now, think I'm with you... have a 'salvo' t-shirt I used for playgroup. would drop the kids off at school and was automatically asked which shop I worked at. It did open conversations about the church and my faith, but I am a Salvationist first... Thanks for getting me thinking Simon! Keep up the fight. Penny

Anonymous said...

How do you know that the Salvation Army is doing the will of God? Especially since they do not carry out Christ's command to baptise people? Doesn't that make you somewhat suspicious?

Simon Mapleback said...

Firstly, I'm not going to respond anymore to you unless you give me your whole name or your background so I can understand your hatered and where you're comming from.

You really show lack of Spiritual insight when you say things like "How do you know that the Salvation Army is doing the will of God?", I'm not even going to bother, only face to face, blogs really aren't the best place for this discussion.

Secondly, I'm guessing you're talking about water baptism?! We're not totally against it, so what's your point. We're more focused on the upgrade - the baptism of the Holy Spirit, do the repentance stuff (John's baptism) and recieve the Spirit - that's the part we want!

Do you have reference to this so called command from Jesus to baptise people? I remember reading in Matt 28:19 where Jesus says to "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit". Jesus doesn't say specifically anywhere that I recall, to go baptise in water, but in the Holy Spirit, can you enlighten me on that.

Not suspicious at all, if you find the anti-christ in the Salvation Army - please let me know.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Don't be too concerned. I will not be stepping into your church unless it is at the point of a gun.

No need to take out a legally enforcable restraining order. Not that I can stop you.

I understand "f*ck off".

Anonymous said...

David, I've read a lot of your comments on these Salvo blogs and I have to say I enjoy seeing you challenging these people about what they say and believe. You make seem quite mild by comparison.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I'm puzzled by your comparison that I am quite mild by comparison. Are you implying some element of extremism exists amongst the Salvos? If so, what is it, and is it entertaining enough to attend one of their meetings to observe?

Anonymous said...

Sorry David, I left out a word from my last comment - it should have read "you make ME quite mild by comparison". That is simply to say that I usually just ask these guys to give some evidence for their claims around miraculous healing and people being raised from the dead, which to date they have been unable to do. You on the other hand seem to mostly go into full-on attack mode, which is why I see myself as mild compared to you. But keep going with your comments - whilst I think you are a bit harsh at times (the deleted Winton Knop comment for example) I am all for anything that provokes a response from these guys.

Anonymous said...

Sorry David, I left out a word from my last comment - it should have read "you make ME quite mild by comparison". That is simply to say that I usually just ask these guys to give some evidence for their claims around miraculous healing and people being raised from the dead, which to date they have been unable to do. You on the other hand seem to mostly go into full-on attack mode, which is why I see myself as mild compared to you. But keep going with your comments - whilst I think you are a bit harsh at times (the deleted Winton Knop comment for example) I am all for anything that provokes a response from these guys.

Ellie said...

Hmm. Interesting argument above this comment. Looks like I've got some more praying to do for these people! Anyway, the amazing entry reminded me of something written by a guy at a UK Summer school run by the Army.

He's talking about how being a Salvationist is more than just wearing a uniform.

I am not a navy uniform.
I'm not found in 'Happiness and Harmony'
Not discribed in the articles of war.
If you cut me, I don't bleed yellow, red and blue.

I'm not just blood and fire.
I'm not defined by corps or rank or division.
I don't always march to your beat.
I'm nothing like William Booth.

I'm not the name on my epaulettes.
I'm not just the reflection in my shoes.
I'm not a doctrine or and order.
I'm in the Army. But I am much more.

I'm a broken, empty canvas,
With a hope to change the world
A child of Yahweh, I'm forgiven.
The thorn-crowned monarch is my Dad.

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.
To die with him is to live.
Jesus think I'm worth the torment.
Jesus sees love, He sees pride.

Lloyd Kinsley

We must remember that mission is a big part of the Army, but God is a bigger part. While we should serve, we should do it in the name of Jesus, not so we can quote how much we raised or how much time we spent helping.