Monday 30 June 2008

Focus determines your reality

I had a good conversation a couple of days ago now with a good friend about how leprosy colonies still exist today and it changed my view on the verse where Jesus says to "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons". Previously I wasn't aware of many people still in the world that had leprosy, so I wasn't sure how relevant that part of the verse was, but God keeps reminding me His word is eternal.

We got onto the healing topic that seems to keep coming up around the Salvationist circles a lot lately. I'm guilty of focusing on God's healing power more than His saving power and my good friend, a respected leader of the Army, was saying to us that the best healing God gives is the healing of hearts! How good is that! I love it. He also went onto say that if we could hear God on the healing topic is that He might say, you wouldn't worry so much about my signs and wonders if you really knew what was coming!

My Spiritual giftings are in healing, discernment etc, more the 'supernatural' gifts - everyone seems to focus on whats around them the most.

So it got me thinking about what's our primary focus as Salvationist in the Salvation Army - well we know we're not a metaphor, so I guess it's salvation!! We focus primarily on peoples souls! We want them to see, as we see, the love of God.

Then what? Secondly, then is it the physical, which to me, it looks like in the past few decades the Army has put into first place. (This covers both the feeding and clothing etc and also the healing topic). Even today I heard some Officers were unhappy with a good friend of mine, who is a leading Officer of the Army, because he is "too focused on social justice and evangelism" and here I'd like to state IS the basis of the Salvation Army - how ironic!!!

So, in my personal opinion, the Army in the past few decades, started loosing it's vision, started taking it's eyes off 'the ball', and now we're trying to get back on the of the purpose of the movement, why God raised us specifically - there will be much opposition, especially from within, from the 'not-so-right' teachings of the mediocre army, and we're seeing this opposition already! (God have your way with Your Army in Jesus Name)

Here comes some healing again I think - many people have been badly hurt from this 'army' when we started diverting from our 'mission'. Since we 'represent' God, we may have to have some healing first so these hurt by the 'organisation' can see God clearly again, not the blurred vision they see of God through the Army.

So I suppose what I'm saying in summary is, put God's saving power first - He ultimately wants us to spend eternity in His Kingdom, then worry about their physical self as a close second(!?) What's your thoughts?

If focus determines your reality - what is the reality of the Salvation Army at present? Thanks to Commissioner Knaggs for his vision - its very timely!!

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matthew 10:28

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the enthusiasm, but thoroughly dislike the distain and judgmentalism that is thrown at those who you consider to be mediocre Christians. You need to relaize that we are all accountable to God not you guys. Anyway what makes you think you have all the answers and that your way is the only way. GH

Simon Mapleback said...

Yeah, I understand you GH!

As long as we're obeying what God is requiring from us as individuals, that's great, but I feel all the 'Christians' that continue to make excuses for not doing what even the Bible commands and make God and the 'church' look bad need to pull up their sock up -I don't want people just scrapping into Heaven by the skin of their teeth.

Yes we are all accountable to God not to man - I just want to make sure everyone is sure of their salvation - a lot of people are going to be very dissapointed thinking that being a 'good person' is enough...

I never think I have all the answers, please don't even suggest that I think I do! All I know is what God is requiring of me and my obedience to that is my responsibility - my salvation is in my own hands.

Thanks for your comment again GH.