Monday 16 June 2008

Rainforest Alliance Certified Coffee


I picked up a pamphlet tonight about McDonald's new coffee they're promoting.

On these pamphlets it says

"Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee is produced within a sustainable system developed to protect the environment, wildlife an improve coffee farmers' quality of life."

Buying this Rainforest Alliance coffee makes me feel like I want to go and chain myself to a tree to stop it getting mistreated. Knowing about it's 'competition' Fairtrade coffee, it seems a bit weak really.

If I had a tree and a human in front of me, and had to choose which one to save, I think I value human life much higher in the scheme of things, so I'd choose the human. I'd rather completely support a product that totally guaranteed to stop slavery and also supports the farmers that were struggling than a product that contained only around 30% mixture that is friendly to the environment and its frogs. They also mention that they support improving coffee farmers quality of life, but it seems just a bit of a tag on at the end and not as the main focus of the product.

I know I need to lighten up but it's not enough to talk up how good you are if you're not going to be totally committed to really making a difference on what is really important. My work has just started up a community benefit program also which also contains a 'caring for the environment' component, which I feel is just to win brownie points with the community. Does it really care? Does McDonald's really care, or do they just want to be known as 'good people' that are doing a 'good deed'? If something is worth doing, it's worth doing completely and with commitment - do you agree?

Ok, off my soap box now... Human life and the opportunity of having a quality life is much more of a concern to me, and I'm sure God for that matter, than a forest and it's wildlife. Yes we need to be caring for them, but if they become a priority over human life, then there is something a bit wrong.

'But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do,
what God is looking for in men and women.It's quite simple:
Do what is fair and just to your neighbor,
be compassionate and loyal in your love,
And don't take yourself too seriously—
take God seriously.'
Micah 6:8 (The Message)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Simon,
I have just looked up the website for Rainforest alliance and I am impressed. Here are their core values:

“We believe that sustainable management of businesses of all sizes requires:

* Clean air and water
* Healthy biodiversity and wildlife habitat
* Reduction of waste and toxicity
* Reduction and mitigation of global warming
* Dignified and safe living and working conditions, with adequate food, education and health care for workers and their families
* Equal opportunity for all

I hear what you are saying regarding the value of human life and it looks like the rainforest alliance would agree. I absolutely agree with what you say about the value of human life, we are created in the image of God and all people require dignity and equal access to resources. The creation mandate however doesn’t stop at humanity. We were given the gift of caring for God’s creation in Genesis 1 & 2. (The translation of “dominion” is not a good translation from Hebrew to English) This mandate of care is reinforced in the Covenant of All Living Things following the flood in Genesis 6 -10. Care for creation does not end there, there are ecological and agrarian ideologies (eg. Sabbath rest for the land) throughout the Old Testament. If you are interested in knowing more there is a great book called, “The land is Mine”. By Norman Habel. The creation mandate of equality, equal access to resources, care for the earth and its life, dignity in work etc are all a part of the Salvation Army’s mission. We are “Reforming society” and redeeming the whole of creation through the work of God. I hear what you are saying regarding McDonald’s wanting to appear Good citizens however I think there are some organisations like “Gloria Jeans” that are endevouring to make a difference for the sake of making a difference and not a name for themselves.
Keep the passion going Simon!
…CJG

Simon Mapleback said...

Thanks mate, long time no see, hope things are going well. Was talking bout you with your mother in law on Sunday actually...

Anonymous said...

Simon - you might want to be a bit more reading about RA, they're actually doing a decent job when it comes to treating workers and producers in the chocolate industry.

We all know fairtrade is the 'point of focus' when it comes to human trafficking and whatnot - but I've found RA to be more than adequate on the issue of fair wages/decent rights... ;)